17 March 2011

Women in Combat?

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue, but it is an issue whether some want to ignore it and others want to propel it into the mass media arena.

WASHINGTON — Women should finally be allowed to serve fully in combat, a military advisory panel said Friday in a report seeking to dismantle the last major area of discrimination in the armed forces.

Read more http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/01/ap-women-in-combat-011411/

As a woman I agree that things should be equal, but as a spouse do I want my husband put in a situation where a unit is huddled down under fire and he inadvertently rolls over, crawls over, or brushes by another woman and then be accused of sexual harassment or even assault, or do I want to see a woman taken hostage by the enemy and paraded and even tortured as I'm sure will happen? No. I'm at a loss on what side to choose. I agree with points on both sides of the issue. I agree that it is harder to make higher rank advancement if you don't get combat experience, but perhaps that can be resolved with different standards for women. I know several women who do quite well in their military careers and didn't have to see combat. It's a tough issue all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment