25 January 2011

Country First

One of the hardest lessons most military spouses learn is "Country first".   I watched as my mom struggled to raise seven kids with a husband who was married first and foremost to the the Army.  She learned to cope and learned to do a lot of things on her own. My dad was in the 82nd Airborne- often TDY to the Key West, out in wilderness training, or on "jumps" at all hours of the day and night. 

This upbringing was most helpful when I married an AF-OSI agent.  I learned (and honestly- am still learning) to cope with a husband who is often called away in the middle of the night, who can't tell you a thing about his day or what happened at work, and not being readily accepted by the other USAF families because they don't want my husband knowing what they're up to- often times not good things.  I've learned to disregard the secretive phone calls knowing that there are things he can't share.  I've learned to not take it personally when we can't go do what we've planned because some airman got himself in trouble downtown, or there was a suicide on base that needs his attention.

Despite all the other things, there are great things about being a military spouse.  We've lived in some amazing places (mostly in Turkey, but still amazing) and have met some truly extraordinary people.  My kids are world travelers and have a global understanding that most kids their age know nothing about.  Because of my own upbringing, moving around is second nature.  I look forward to moves and changes.  I'm better able to get out of my comfort zone and take the initiative to meet new people, make new friends, and get used to new surroundings.  I hope my kids will appreciate this when they are older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment